Water Conditioning in San Diego
When it comes to water conditioning, San Diego residents are advised to take measures to soften their household water supply. According to USGS, Southern California is one of the regions in the United States that has the hardest water. What that means is that the water has high concentrations of minerals and sediments, usually calcium and magnesium.
This makes the water abrasive, which can lead to the following problems:
- Drinking water that doesn’t taste good
- Dry skin
- White sediment on plumbing fixtures and faucets
- Grimy glassware and dishes after washing up
- Heavy, grimy-feeling clothing after machine washing
- Lowered water pressure caused by sediment building up inside the plumbing system
- Rapid deterioration of your home’s plumbing system
Fortunately, though you can’t change where your water supply comes from without relocating, you can install a water softener. A water softener flows the water through a tank of zeolite, which consists of negatively charged beads that are bonded to positively charged sodium ions. The calcium and magnesium ions carry a stronger positive charge and therefore swap places with the sodium, effectively drawing the minerals out of the water and replacing them with non-abrasive sodium.
Though you can purchase point-of-use water softeners, this only addresses the issue at one particular point in your home, for example, the kitchen faucet or the washing machine pipe. That’s why experts like the team at Arnett’s advise having a whole house water softener installed. First of all, it’s much better for your home’s plumbing system, since the water will be far less abrasive. But in addition, you’ll notice many positive changes.
Whole-house water softener benefits:
- Drinking water that tastes better
- Softer skin and hair
- No sediment on plumbing fixtures
- Cleaner, shinier glassware and dishes after washing up
- Lighter, softer fabrics after machine washing
- After descaling the pipes, improved water pressure
Obviously, a whole house water softener can significantly improve your and your family’s quality of life. So if you’re thinking of installing a water softener in your San Diego home, contact Arnett’s for more information, as well as a free estimate of costs.